Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
This autumn chicken pot pie recipe is not your typical
With sweet cranberries, tart apples, veggies and of course the
chicken, your taste buds will be alive with lots of different flavors.
This main dish is a bit more involved than others, so make sure you
schedule enough time to get this one done right.
is the list of ingredients, step by step directions, recipe nutrition
information and the Weight Watchers points for this chicken recipe.
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Warm up tonight with this chicken pot pie for dinner.
Add a tossed
salad and some corn bread for the sides to compliment this dinner idea.
Main Dish, Poultry
Degree of Difficulty
Ingredients for the Dough
- 1 cup all purpose-flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 Tbs cold water
Ingredients for the Chicken Pot
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup pearl onions, peeled and steamed until tender
- 2 medium carrots, cut into slices and steamed until tender
- 1 medium Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs minced fresh ginger root
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
Directions for Crust
- In a large bowl, combine flour, ginger, lemon zest and salt.
- With a pastry blender (or 2 knives), cut in 1/3 cup butter
until mixture is coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of water over the dough mixture and
with a fork. The dough should be just barely moistened, enough to hold
together when formed into a ball. Add more water if needed.
- Form the dough into a flat disk and wrap in plastic and
Directions for Filling
- Drop pearl onions into boiling water for 30 seconds; drain,
peel. Steam pearl onions and carrots until tender.
- In large saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons
- Whisk in flour and ginger until smooth.
- Reduce heat to low and gradually whisk in chicken broth.
- Stir in pearl onions, carrots, apples, cranberries, lemon
juice and chicken.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon filling into deep, 10-inch ceramic glass pie dish.
Directions for Chicken Pot Pie
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to a circle,
about 12-inches in diameter.
- Lay the dough over the top of pie dish.
- Trim and crimp edges. Use a small knife to cut several
slits in the center of the pie.
- Set the pie on a baking sheet and place in the oven on the
- Bake for 15 minutes.
heat to 400°F and continue baking for an additional 20 minutes or until
pie bubbles around edges and top is nicely browned.
- Cut into 6 wedges and serve while hot.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Nutrition Facts for Chicken Pot
Nutrition facts and Weight Watchers Points shown below are per serving.
The number of serving is
noted in the header section below.
The serving size is the first item noted on the nutrition facts table.
|Nutrition Per Serving
Number of Servings: 6
| Sat Fat
Weight Watchers Points
Original Weight Watchers Points: 9
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 11
You can use ready made pie crust if you want instead of making your own.
Recipe provided by the National Chicken Council.
In addition to this chicken pot pie as comfort food, try some good old
fashioned sloppy joes
This chicken recipe uses an alternative to the Alfredo sauce reducing
the calories and fat. By using cottage cheese, plain yogurt and some
seasoning, you can achieve a creamy taste to this pasta recipe.
Chicken Mashed Potato Bake
Chicken and mashed potatoes never looked so good and tasted so yummy.
With lots of veggies and chicken gravy added to this chicken and
potatoes meal, it's sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.
Warm up your dinner by starting with some delicious soup. The chickpeas
and lentils in this chili give it a unique and fun flavor. Share this
chili recipe with family and friends.
This is a tasty and healthy fish recipe that is great for dinner or
lunch. With the zesty taste of lemon and the wonderful flavor of
garlic, you are sure to love this main dish. Add a tossed salad and
some mixed veggies to the side to complete this meal.
Free tips and recipes monthly. What
do you have to lose...except some weight.....Sign up now.
Through Cooking Methods
Here are some tips to help you reduce the fat and calories in the foods
you cook. By learning to change some cooking methods you can be eating healthier
and losing weight.
How to Read
Food labels can be confusing at times. Don't let all that information
get the best of you. Learn how to understand food labels by checking
out this article.
Point Plus Foods
Add some of these foods to your next meal or recipe. At just one point,
you can have these without going over your daily allowance.