Pumpkin Strata Breakfast Casserole Recipe
This breakfast casserole recipe is filled with lots of flavors to start your day off right. It may not be your typical morning breakfast, but this Italian Pumpkin Strata
is perfect for your next breakfast or brunch get together with friends and family.
The creaminess of this delicious meal is packed flavor. With eggs, sweet Italian sausage, lots of veggies, cheese and other great flavors
everyone will be sure to rave about this meal. Everyone will come back for seconds and beg you for the recipe.
If you want to save yourself some time, you can always buy ground turkey sausage at the grocery store and skip that part of the directions in the recipe below.
You will find the Weight Watchers points, nutrition, ingredients and directions below. All points have been rounded to the nearest whole value.
This recipe was modified from the original found
here on verybestbaking.com.
In an effort to reduce fats, calories and Weight Watchers Points, this recipe calls for homemade Italian sausage using ground turkey breast. It's not exactly
the same taste as the original but still scrumptious....and lot's less points.
Recipe Type: Breakfast, Brunch, Main Dish, Casserole
Degree of Difficulty: Difficult
Ingredients for Homemade Italian Sausage
- 1 lb Ground Turkey Breast, 99% fat free
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbs Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes, crushed
- 1/4 tsp fennel seed, crushed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
Ingredients for Strata
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 cup (1small) chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 12 cups (about 1-pound loaf) 1 1/2-inch cubes Italian or French bread
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 cups (two 12 fluid-ounce cans) Nestle Carnation Evaporated Milk
- 1 3/4 cups (15-ounce can) Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 tsp dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram, crushed
Directions for Homemade Sausage
- Place the ground turkey and red wine vinegar in a mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle all the remaining ingredients over the ground turkey.
- Knead until all spices are well blended.
- Wrap in storage bags and store in fridge for 12 hours (this gives the ground turkey time to absorb all the spices)
Directions for Strata
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Heat vegetable oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage, onion, bell peppers and garlic.
- Cook while stirring to break up the sausage for about 7 to 10 minutes or until sausage is browned; drain.
- Combine bread cubes, cheese and sausage mixture in a large bowl.
- Beat evaporated milk, pumpkin, eggs, salt, pepper, oregano, basil and marjoram in a medium bowl.
- Pour over bread mixture, pressing bread into the milk mixture.
- Pour into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until set.
- Cut into 12 squares and serve warm.
Prep Time: 25 minutes Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Nutrition Facts for Breakfast Casserole Recipe
The nutrition facts for this breakfast casserole recipe is shown below. The information is per serving and the number of servings is noted
in the header section below. The serving size is the first item noted on the nutrition facts table.
|Nutrition Per Serving
Number of Servings:12
||8.4oz (1 square)
| Sat Fat
Weight Watchers Points
Smart Points: 10 pts
Non-FreeStyle: 11 pts
Plus: 9 pts
Points: 8 pts
The ground turkey breast, veggies and eggs are not included in the calculation of the Freestyle SmartPoints.
The veggies are not included for the other points values.
In addition to this breakfast casserole recipe, try this Quiche
Lorraine recipe for breakfast or brunch.
This French toast recipe adds the yummy taste of bananas to make the flavor really stand out.
This breakfast idea is Weight Watchers FreeStyle friendly as the eggs and peppers are zero SmartPoints.
Here's another tasty twist on a traditional French toast breakfast.
No need to build a campfire for this dessert recipe. Just use your microwave and enjoy the taste.
This recipe can be a main dish or appetizer. By using tuna, it's also a WW FreeStyle friendly idea.
This chicken drumstick recipe uses sweet molasses and apple butter to give it lots of fun flavors.
Healthy Appetizer Recipes
Try some of these appetizers for your next meal, party or just for a tasty snack.
Weight Watchers Points Tracker
Download this free spreadsheet to track the points for the foods you eat. It tracks your daily and weekly allowance and you can add your
activity points as well.
Counting Carbs or Making Carbs Count?
Don't avoid all carbohydrates. Instead eat the good ones and make them count.